Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Milford did have a Jewellers


Having be asked last week whether Milford on Sea ever had a jewellers were were interested to hear these replies:

No.1: Yes, there was a jewellers/watch repair shop in the village, I think it was "F Carter"? It was the shop just to left (Keyhaven side) of Monks, opposite "Telford Stone" and "Brooms" shops? I don't recall a fire but I moved out of village in the 70's after being born there in '53.

No.2: I think the lady must mean Carter's, who were both a watchmaker and had some jewellry - or that is as I remember the shop. Hugh Carter, who worked with his father, sadly died last autumn having fallen from his yacht moored at the end of the Keyhaven River. Their shop was in the row between Monks Fish shop and an old lady at the end who sold antiques, books etc. There was also a hairdresser.
The Cullinan Diamond
No.3: The Cullinan Diamond, the world's largest gem-quality rough diamond was discovered in South Africa and bought to Milford on Sea to be cut into smaller gems by a cousin of the diamonds discoverer.

No.4: Hugh Carter did have a fire at the shop. A heater was to blame I believe, and dear "old Hughie" suffered some burns.

No.5: David, Milford certainly had a watch repairer near Chris Monk our greatly respected fishmonger, when I arrived in 1984. It was at about 100 High Street. No impressive window display but I remember two elderly (male) sales staff and a pretty empty counter. They repaired a watch for me and also replaced a battery on another occasion. I do not remember any fire there. I think that like so many of our considerable number of shops in the past and also old soldiers, after reaching retirement age and no young willing to take over, the owners just "faded away".

PS: As you may guess, No.3 is complete nonsense and made up for no particular reason!

1 comment:

  1. I have a small cardboard box which I think my Mum had a broach its says F G Carter, High Street. Milford-on-Sea Tel 483. I was born in Milford but left in 1959 when I was 10 its always for my brother myself remembered as the happiest years of our child hood we lived at Cobblestones in Sea Road which I know has gone now

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.