Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 17 March 2021

Simon aims for the Commonwealth Para Games

Simon Heaps is Milford on Sea resident and also an International para-table tennis player.

He has recently been selected at a number of International Tournaments and is looking to raise funds to represent his country.

As Simon explains: 

The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Para 2021 Calendar was released about 3 weeks ago and last Thursday I got a phone call from GB Para Table Tennis Head Coach to advise that I will be going to the following Tournaments on the resumption, playing in Class 5 Wheelchair Table Tennis.

June 2021
Slovakia Para Open - Bratislava
Thailand Para Open - Pattaya
Spanish Para Open - Girona

July 2022
Czech Para Open - Ostrava
Taipei Para Open - Taipei

These are on a self funding basis and I have to continue to raise funds for myself even though I am representing Great Britain and I will be travelling with the GB Olympic Squad. I anticipate the cost of these Tournaments will be between £6 and £10k.

They are a must to gain World Ranking points to gain selection for England in the 2022 Commonwealth Para Games, which is my dream. I am currently 65 and will be a few days short of my 67th birthday in Birmingham if selected.

One way of raising much needed funds is advertising on my car. If any local businesses would you like to see their company name and logo, sponsoring a disabled athlete, on my vehicle until October 2022 please get in touch.

If you would like more information you can contact Simon, by clicking here.

About Simon

Just a very brief history, I am 65, lost my right leg in May 2019 and am aiming to get to the 2022 Commonwealth Para Games in Birmingham and represent England in Wheelchair Table Tennis. I get no funding whatsoever from my NGB and have to raise my own funds entirely. I live in Milford on Sea but travel the whole area playing and training along with national tournaments when they resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.