Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Friday 19 April 2013

How to paint a lighthouse

The Hurst Castle team have been on the telly again!

This time they featured in the BBC2 programme 'Coast' on Wednesday 10th April 2013. The guys from the castle had been filmed leaving Keyhaven Quay with a couple of their boats to put the painters on the Needles lighthouse.

This was actually filmed two years ago, but it takes time for the show to make it to our TV screens.

It may not be so well known that Hurst Ferries have the Trinity House contracts for the day to day maintenance of the Needles and Hurst Point lighthouses which is certainly an interesting job, alongside running both the Hurst Ferry and Hurst Castle.
 
Sean, Mary and Jason do not however take responsibility for the Needles Lighthouse fog horn keeping people awake!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addendum
 
What the show did not broadcast, was me, (in my rather tight luminous dungarees, which got several funny looks from the film crew and fellow painters) leaping 'gazzelle like' from the boat onto the Needles rocks. I then free-climbed up the outside of the lighthouse, racing the guys using the stairs to get to the top.
 
As I waited for them to arrive, I enjoyed the view, whist eating one of those tasty samosas from Hollands. My brand new set of brushes from Milford Hardware were poised, eager to get to work.
 
As we abseiled down the giant 'barbers pole' splashing paint in all directions, the boys decided they did not like the rather fetching shade of cerise paint I was applying. Apparently, the lighthouse was supposed to remain red & white. As I protested that a change of colour would be appreciated by the people from the shore, the rest of team did not agree, which they demonstrated by unclasping my harness. 
 
It is surprising how high the lighthouse is, which is particularly noticeable when you are falling past it at around 100mph.  As I swam to shore two things crossed my mind, firstly, it was time I gave up painting, and secondly, I did not know the difference between tight luminous dungarees and a mankini!
 
If only that last paragraph was true it would have made a good episode. My wife reckons I have better face for radio though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurst Castle & Ferry
A short relaxing boat ride, or for the more energetic, a walk along the shingle Hurst Spit, however you get there, it is worth the visit!.
www.hurstcastle.co.uk
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.