Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Friday 26 August 2011

Verveine sweeps Hampshire Awards

Thursday was the night of the Hampshire Life Food & Drink Awards 2011. 

click image to enlarge

As we got ready for this lavish annual event, I was unsure how long I would be able to breathe, due to my wife having shrunk my dinner suit trousers since the last time I had worn them.  After a few hours getting ready, and only a few minutes late, my wife had scrubbed up well for a night of glitz & glamour.  We were soon on our way to the Four Seasons Hotel at Dogmersfield House near a remote northern town called Hook.  As we arrived, we cruised up a long sweeping drive to discover the magnificent neo-classical Georgian Dogmersfield House.  At the entrance we were greeted by the very smart hotel team, who were reminiscent of the lines of staff welcoming renowned people at Buckingham Palace.  I asked if the welcome party was just for me, and the manager adeptly ignored my comment and discreetly asked; ‘Are you OK sir, you look a bit red.’  My wife just said ‘He always looks like that when his blood circulation is cut off’, and headed for the waiters with champagne trays.

On the terrace I was pleased to see a few other portly guys also struggling for breath. Starting to recognise some of the esteemed guests, it dawned on me that ‘the great & good in Hampshire food’ was in attendance.  The Hampshire Life Magazine team took the time and trouble to come and introduce themselves, and each one was delightful.  The Verveine team then arrived in all of their finery.  Most other award nominees were in one’s and two’s, but Milford on Sea’s Verveine came mob handed, with none of the team left out of this special occasion.  Their excitement was palpable and infectious.
 

Dogmersfield House was a spectacular and impressive venue, and as we were all invited to take our places for dinner in the ballroom, the wow factor got even bigger.  Magnificently laid tables, grand surroundings and a stage with large plasma screens like an Oscar ceremony.  As over 200 people took their seats, I just looked at the chair and then my trousers, wondering whether it would be the waistband or crotch that gave way first?!  The conversations just flowed as we enjoyed a four course meal, including a spectacular local 'loosehanger' cheese board.  We were even given copious and complimentary wine by local wine merchant Berry Brothers.  I bet our chef, Cyrille Pannier, felt just a little pressure cooking for the array of foodie diners he had in tonight!  Our table was pretty noisy, with the Verveine team having a great time, albeit a little apprehensive for what excitement may lay ahead.

Just after nine, it was time for the ten ‘Food & Drink Awards’ awards of the evening.  Hosting the awards ceremony was Sally Taylor from BBC South Today.  First up was ‘Chef of the Year’.  This award was for the chef considered to demonstrate freshness & quality in their menus, high food standards and raw passion.  The nominees were David Wykes from Verveine Fishmarket Restaurant, Andrew Donovan from the 5 star Aviator Hotel in Farnborough and Damian Brown Executive chef at Chesil Rectory in Winchester.  To raise the tension, a short film was shown on each person.  Then…. ‘The winner is……. David Wykes!’  Our table spontaneously erupted, and it would have been of no surprise to discover one of us had wet ourselves.  It is amazing to think that this extraordinary Milford on Sea village fish restaurant only opened in February 2010.  As David collected his award the celebratory emotions ran high, with the entire Verveine team of David, Stacey, John, Mary Kate, Jackie, Jess & Graham all beside themselves with excitement. David’s wife, Sarah, was also there to share in his proud moment of deserved recognition.  My wife was there mainly because she loves a good party.

 
click image to enlarge

A couple of awards later it was time for the ‘Restaurant of the Year’.  This award was to recognise quality of food and service, value for money and the overall dining experience.  This time Verveine were again up against serious competition from Pebble Beach in Barton on Sea and Chesil Rectory in Winchester.  Another film, more tension.  Then Sally said; ‘And the winner is… Verveine Fishmarket Restaurant!’.  Our table exploded again, everyone jumping in the air, hugs all round and kisses were everywhere.  I think I took the unknown lady on the table next to us by surprise when I kissed her on the lips.  But in a funny way I think she enjoyed it, although she tried to feign resistance by punching me hard in the kidneys.  It did hurt, but in a strange way I was pleased that it had taken my mind off of my strangulating waist band.  Stacey & David proudly collected their award from the stage to a room of loud applause.  It is clear they were popular winners, and anyone who has dined at Verveine can only be impressed by the creative menu, fresh ingredients, slick service and the theatre of the entire experience.     

The last award of the evening was for ‘The Hampshire Recognition Award’.  By this stage my bow tie had gone, shirt undone, jacket off and I was one stage from undoing my trousers.  So, it took me a bit by surprise when my name was called.  I was also a bit embarrassed, as all I do is pull together other peoples hard work.  I was the most unkempt person in the room, so I was guaranteed to spoil all of the nice photos the organisers had been taking so much trouble to get perfect all night.  As far as I am concerned, this award is genuinely for everyone in the Milford on Sea community who work so hard organising or getting involved with Food Week events for all ages groups, and of course for everyone in the village who enthusiastically turn out to support the many and various events throughout Milford on Sea Food Week.  It is more than enough for me just to see a village full of smiling people.  I am now a bit unsure where to put this unexpected trophy, so I may drop it round to a random house in the village and ask them to pass it on each day.

As the evening drew to a close it was evident that many new friendships had been forged, and all of the Hampshire food providers had been drawn a little closer together, which can only be good for everyone who enjoys food in our county.  As everyone boarded the Milford on Sea bus home it was clear that the driver was going to have to endure the continued celebrations of the Verveine team for quite a while!

Well done and thank you to everyone at Hampshire Life, ….you put on a spectacular evening.  Big congratulations also go to all in Milford on Sea, the village won three out of the evenings ten awards, and all because you support the efforts so many are making to put Milford on Sea on the map for great food.  Keep eating!

1 comment:

  1. David, an hilarious report of the evening, really enjoyed it. I knew about Verveine's successes but didnt know who won your category; delighted you did, many congrats! Kind regards Carol

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.