Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Monday 1 December 2014

Helping the Local Young & Vulnerable

We have come across a very worthwhile and inspiring charity helping out youngster across the New Forest and our local area.

They are called 'New Forest Nightstop' and they provide the only free emergency overnight accommodation for young homeless people aged 16 to 24 in the New Forest.

The young people stay in the homes of trained and approved volunteers.

Most young people are nervous, going to a strangers home but each one of them realised it was better than they thought it would be and they had a great time!

The website contains the stories from some of the young people who have been faced with homelessness in the New Forest and their experience with Nightstop. One example is Cassie:

Cassie
"When I found myself homeless I felt worried about what was next and lonely because I didn't feel there was any help for me. I felt relieved when I found out about Nightstop as there is help out there for young homeless people."

The key to providing this valuable service is of course the kind volunteers that take the young vulnerable people into their homes. It is great to know that Nightstop have three current volunteers in Milford on Sea.

One of them, Del commented: "I was worried when I was first a host, as I am a single woman but I know that I will never be sent anyone unsuitable. One young man stayed for 4 nights and it was very easy just providing a bed, breakfast and an evening meal when required and I know there is always someone on the end of a phone if I need advice’ 

If you would like to become a volunteer, or if  you are homeless or know of someone who is, please contact Catriona at Nightstop today.

Community First New Forest
Catriona Duncan
Nightstop Support Worker
01425 478391 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.