Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Saturday 1 October 2011

Your editor is emigrating!

Well we are all packed, the car is loaded with curry sauces and associated essentials, my wife’s in the boot, dogs in the front, and we are now emigrating to France. 

Leaving Milford on Sea will not be easy, but the delights of Deauville on the Cote de Fleurie are also hard to resist.  Having emigrated there once before we are excited about our latest adventure.  Our new French seafront home now awaits, and I suspect we may arrive to a surprise civic reception, street party and many kisses from the mayor.

Unfortunately for you, the wonders of e-mail and the internet will keep us in touch and the Milford on Sea News Bulletin will continue, although it may be a little less frequent and have a slightly French flavour.   Should anyone have any problems when I inadvertently drop my ramblings into French, I am sure Lionel at La Perle will be happy to translate for you.

Our regular readers will know that I need no improvement to my French language skills and etiquette, as these were perfected on our last emigration to France.  Whilst I am rarely understood by the French people I meet, or generally accost, I suspect this can only be a regional accent issue.  Indeed, once attired with a beret and hooped tee shirt I am often mistaken for a native Frenchman.  Mon épouse continues to insist that six weeks in France is not ‘emigration’ but simply a ‘ridiculously long holiday’, but I think she is technically incorrect.  She also insists that wearing a beret and drinking Pastis every day does not mean that I will become half French.  However my penchant for baguette, cheese & French wine (particularly wine) I think proves that I am indeed nearly French already.  I have already enquired how long it will take for us to become French citizens, so next time you see me I will be eligible for a starring role in Les Miserables.

Au revoir mes amis.

click image to enlarge

4 comments:

  1. so long, fair well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick (that German!!)1 October 2011 at 08:46

    OMG! or as the French say...
    OMD (Oohlala, Mon Dieu - not Orchestral Manoeuvres in ze Dark!)

    Deauville eh? I used to have a motorbike (a Honda) known as a 650 Deauville, but have now progressed to a BMW LT (Support the Vaterland)

    Oooops, I seem to be rambling on. Your problem must be infectious.

    Bon Chance mon ami, and try to keep away from those delightful French biscuits which I am "forced" to eat when I visit my soeur in Bubry. They don't do the waistline any favours! Did I hear your wife just shout that its too late anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you well in your subterfuge to promote the Deauviulle/MoS twinning partnership. Whilst on the subject of product placement, have you considered Calvados (the local tipple) or even Pernod in preference to the sock rotter you espouse?

    As an almost expat, just pour vous http://www.deauville.org/en/ .

    Bon voyage. Au revoir.
    --
    plod

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we arrived this afternoon, over 30 degree's in October! I love global warming! Frist thing we did was buy baguette & cheese. Then a walk on the beach & read of Boris Johnson book. Thanks German Rick for your comments, no idea what you are on about. Plod, Calvados in cupboard!

    All going well until tonight. So hot we had all windows & doors open, life don't get better than this.

    Spoke to soon, as daddy long legs has just come through the window, my wife is screaming like a tranasuarus has smashed through a wall having not eaten for a week - and now I have to remove or suffer a burst ear drum. Must go now, major crisis to deal with and sure gendarmerie are probably on the way.

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.