Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Monday 21 February 2011

Newcomers welcomed to Milford

On Saturday night anyone new to the village in the past year was invited to a free supper at the All Saints Church Hall in Milford on Sea.  Prior to eating, the guests were able to attend a ‘mini exhibition’ of the clubs, associations & services in the village.  Over 40 representatives met & greeted the newcomers, explaining the offerings they had for them. 

Not being new to the village I had wangled an invitation on the basis of being an organiser of Food Week.  It wasn’t long before I was back into the patter I had once used at Petticoat Lane & the Ideal Home Exhibition many years ago.  No one was going to get past without hearing about the special event the village will be enjoying in April.  It was fun jumping out & scaring people, before explaining about this website, & our new village 'foodie' event just before Easter. 

It was enjoyable to hear how everyone I met was so delighted to be now living in the village & they were astounded at all that was available to participate in.  Most places I know are wary of newcomers, but our special little place goes out of its way to welcome them with a warm heart. 

The ‘mini exhibition’ was followed with a sit down meal for the newcomers.  Now at this stage I should have gone home, but I decided to put on an apron to pretend I was working with the girls in the kitchen.  This enabled me to see what happened next.  All of the 120+ guests were the welcomed by various notaries from the village, each giving a little speech.  My favourite was Rev Barbara Jefferies, she had a warm smile & excellent sense of humour.   As the meals were about to leave the kitchen, I disrobed from my apron (just in case I had to do any work) & suddenly felt hungry, so I made for an empty space on the packed tables. 

We were informed that the main meal & salads were done by the teams from the Methodists & CofE and the puddings done by the catholics.  Seconds were even available if you wanted, guess who accepted the offer! It was close, but the cathollics just won it for me!  The evening then ended with some entertainment from our local music masters. Full to the brim, I then left for home to check if my wife had noticed I had gone out.  This evening will leave a special memory for many who attended & it was predominately the work of one lady, supported by an enthusastic team of volunteers.  Ruth Bufton & your helpers please stand up & take a bow, you deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.