Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Thursday 3 November 2011

Scam Warning

We have received the warning below from one of our readers, always worth being aware:

I have today received a call from a company, purporting to be an accredited Microsoft Support Company, explaining that there were currently problems with my computer that Microsoft had asked them to correct – free of charge. This is a scam.

I was surprised to be contacted on my home number as all our professional computer work is done through our office in Lymington on another number, but they were very convincing stating that I was the named Licensee for the computer I was using, even giving my Milford on Sea address.

I played along for a while as they talked me through the process of getting further into my computer. At this point I was able to stop them by saying I would call them back as I had another call coming in.

It is likely that other people in the Milford area will receive such calls. Please warn them about these calls – they are a SCAM. The idea of the scam company is to infiltrate your computer and to download software to help effect the ‘supposed’ repairs. This downloaded software may also contain malware (virouses). Having identified all sorts of problems they will charge you through your credit card for carrying out repairs.

I have reported this call to Action Fraud (www.actionfraud.org.uk) 0300 123 2040 with the name and telephone number of the offending company. Action Fraud will now follow it through. Anyone who has already received a call of this nature should do the same thing. Also contact a reputable computer company to check their computer and remove any problems left as a result of this exercise.


2 comments:

  1. Re the scam, I've had endless calls from the company, but quickly discovered it was a scam from reviews on their website. Don't touch them.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. same with me, but knew straight away a scam

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.