Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Monday 10 June 2013

Local Cheese & a Little Port

As I popped to the village to grab something for our lunch, I was soon drooling at the delicatessen counter in Hollands of Milford.

My eyes soon spotted a rather tasty looking new cheese which I hadn't seen before. It turned out to be locally made by Fernhill Cheese Company, an Artisan Cheese maker based on a farm in Sway. The makers, I discovered are Clare Elizabeth Holmes and Sara Jordan, and the cheese is a Brie type made from organic pasteurised cows milk. A wedge of the French style classic was first in to the basket for my lunch quest. 

This was soon followed by a freshly baked stick of French baguette. I then decided to add a jar of Pretty Pickle made by Claire at Spice & Easy in Milford on Sea.

My impromptu plan for our French lunch had suddenly taken shape. I am not sure the girls behind the counter had not realised my shopping adventure had turned French, and they looked suitably bemused as I chatted away in French and asked them if they took Euros.

Arriving home, my wife was slightly nervous of what was going to be revealed from my shopping trip, particularly as I have returned in the past having totally forgotten to buy the lunch I had been sent out for. However, she was pleasantly surprised when I showed her the cross-channel lunch theme contained in the bag.

She was somewhat less impressed with my rendition of 'Alouette'. As I reached the verse with 'Je te plumerai la têt, Je te plumerai la tête' for the ninth time, she emerged from the kitchen brandishing a knife, advising me if I wanted to keep my head I should refrain from singing any more. I mumbled; 'You don't scare me' in French and under my breath, thankful she did not hear me.

Lunch was soon served, and it seem appropriate to have an accompanying glass of port, or two.... My wife declined a glass, but I am not sure if she understood my invitation in Gallic.

As we ate lunch, my wife shared her wisdom; - 'You know what happens when you drink at lunchtime; you will be asleep in half an hour'.  'Not me' I insisted as I poured another glass, 'Being almost French, I am genetically built for a continental lunch'.

The cheese was excellent, creamy & flavoursome, the bread fresh, soft and full of memories of our past emigration to Deauville. The chutney added another dimension and the port felt like liquid sunshine lighting up the orchestra of flavours.

An hour or so later I awoke on the sofa with the verses of 'Alouette' still ringing in my head. A note was on my chest. 'Gone to see Stacey. Told you it would put you to sleep'. Don't you just hate it when you wife is always right!

Hollands of Milford



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.