Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Memories from Australia

We received the memories below from Nicola Allen, who now lives in Australia with her Australian husband & family:

My Mother was born and raised in Milford on Sea. My grandfather helped look after Milford as part of the Home Guard during WW2.  He is in the book about Milford on Sea during the War, so to her absolute surprise, is my Mother - she is sitting at a table with other children celebrating VE Day.  My Granddad’s sister was in Milford on sea by 1911, working at Milford Laundry. She married one of the Hobby family. (Who have been in Milford on Sea for many generations).

I remember spending nearly every summer holiday with my grandparents in Milford on Sea. I was trotted off to Darby and Joan and Whilst Drives. We had a great time, although I confess to being more than a little uncomfortable sitting on the huge pebbles of Milford Beach. My brother and I used to pick blackberries all the time. Funny now I live in country where blackberries are considered a noxious weed.  My grandfather worked at Hurst Castle, and my uncle looked after The Needles Lighthouse. We used to be able to look across (with binoculars) the wheat fields and watch the boat racing at Cowes. I actually remember watching the Combine Harvesters at work harvesting the wheat. Dad once took our poor dog for a walk through a newly harvested field and unthinkingly wondered why he wouldn’t sit down.

I know from my family history research that my roots are very firmly in the New Forest area. My Dad’s family’s connection with the New Forest area goes back 100s of years. Dad was from Winton in Bournemouth, and one of my great grandfathers was born in the New Forest (Holdenhurst) in 1750.

Attached are some photos of my mum and grandparents taken at Milford on Sea. My Grandmother sitting on the gate at Sharvell's Lodge (Taken around 1928), also my mum with a friend on Milford on Sea Beach around the 1940s. Finally one of me with our two children standing outside my great grandmother’s house in Milford High Street in 2009.

Regards,

Nicola Allen

*click image to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.