Clubs, Classes & Sports

What's On

Wednesday 26 January 2011

It’s not Dolphin Bank

One of our more intelligent & studious readers (I know, we don’t have many that fit that description), has contacted your editor to point out that it is not in fact Dolphin Bank that is current in view west of The Needles. Apparently, accordingly to ‘Admiralty Charts’, it is in fact part of ‘Shingles Bank’. (And I didn’t even know the Admiralty made records, never seen them mentioned in my copy of ‘Smash Hits’ magazine)
Dolphin Bank is in fact further west. Fortunately, I do not pride myself on the accuracy & factual content of my ramblings, so I am happy to take his word for it! Brian has also let us know that jet skiers have now been spotted using this bank to jump off the ramp! Although I am pretty confident he was not one of them.


Settled snow was seen on the bank over Christmas, this of course means that the bank has remained permanently above sea level. Brian makes an interesting point relating to the many tons of shingle laid on Milford on Sea beaches each year, and their subsequent disappearance! Could our new ‘shingle bank’ be their new home? What is clear, is that this area of ‘Shingle Bank’ has not been seen before by long standing residents in such size or duration. Perhaps global warming is working in reverse with sea levels falling! Al Gore is welcome to visit anytime to explain what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Your comment will be approved by the administrator before publication. This could take 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.